How to Add Push Notifications to Your WordPress Siteadmin
You spend hours or even days to write a valuable piece of content so that the audience can read it and learn from you. Every piece of content that we share on the pages of our blogs or business site we create with the intention to be found by the target audience. However, that doesn’t always happen so. What’s the most optimal solutions to fix that? Of course, you can always opt for newsletter subscription forms in order to keep the web audience engaged. Still, there is a better alternative that can bring you more impressive results. You guessed it right. We are going to talk about push notifications on WordPress sites.
What Are Push Notifications?
Initially, push notifications gained their popularity as indispensable components of mobile apps. However, the technological progress doesn’t stand still, as well as marketing innovations. Recently, the technology started to spread all over the desktop versions of websites, engaging the web community way more effectively.
By means of push notifications, you can literally notify your subscribers about new pieces of content that appear on your website via a custom message that comes directly from your site. Whenever a person agrees to receive push notifications from you, he will see custom pop-ups at the lower right corner of the browser window, no matter if your website is currently opened or not. For example, whenever a new post is published, you can send a push notification to your readers so that not a single event occurring on your web resource will be missed.
Simply put, push notifications are a great way to stay in contact with the target audience without making them browse your site all the time.
Benefits of Using Push Notifications
Push notifications are popular with online projects of various topics. These are not limited to be used on eCommerce sites exclusively that need to keep the web community alerted on new releases. Push notifications get more popular among various business projects, blogs, and other online projects that need to notify the users about new pieces of content once those go live.
So, what are the key advantages of using push notifications?
- There is no need to launch a mobile app in order to benefit from push notifications on your web resource. Most of the contemporary web browsers support push notifications. Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and other browsers display push notifications similar to the mobile apps.
- By means of push notifications, you can reach even those users who are not currently on your site. As mentioned earlier, a person may simply work in a web browser and see push notifications appear at the lower right corner of the screen.
- Push notifications also give you the ability to re-engage with the users who are not on your website without knowing their contact details or email address. If a web user once gave a permission to send notifications to him, he will receive your updates without needing his email.
- Push notifications guarantee a prompt delivery of your message to the audience in real-time. Just click the ‘send’ button, and the notification will be sent immediately.
- Push notifications bring 30 times higher conversion rates to websites compared to the common email newsletter.
- These can also increase traffic to your website manifolds. You may have written an impressive post, however if your audience doesn’t know about it, they won’t come to your site. By means of immediate promotion of your content via push notifications, you can manage this issue while sending prompt alerts to the target audience, growing the chances that people do not forget about you.
- You can also boost sales on your website. This is especially useful to eCommerce projects. Whenever you launch a new promo campaign or add a new product to your inventory, send push notifications to your audience so that more people will be aware of that.
How to Add Push Notifications to Your Website
First, you need to launch a website on the basis of WordPress. In order to gain the desired results in the shortest period of time, most of the contemporary webmasters opt for ready-made WordPress themes. For example, you can benefit from the pre-designed solutions from TemplateMonster, or by using a drag & drop builder theme like the Total WordPress Theme.
It’s really easy to setup push notifications for WordPress sites. Just like many other things, this can be achieved by using a plugin. There are lots of functional extensions to choose from. Free and premium push notification WordPress plugins may vary in features but all of them work in a similar way.
Thus, by means of push notifications, you can:
- Notify your visitors on new posts
- Present new products/updates/services
- Send promo codes and coupons
- Inform your visitors about important events
As soon as you install and setup a plugin, the first time a person reaches your website he will receive a prompt inviting him to opt into push notifications. If he agrees, he will receive a message each time you add him to the recipients’ list. Push notifications will then arrive on a user’s device. Once he clicks on the message, he will be taken to the page of your site where the promoted content appears. Whenever a users decides to opt out the push notifications, he can achieve that at any time.
How to Choose a Push Notifications Plugin
There is a really wide choice of push notification plugins in the WordPress community. Even though most of them work in a similar way, there are still a few key ways that make push notifications plugins differ. Take a look at the following quick checklist. It will help you make the right choice of the push notifications plugin for your website.
- What devices is it compatible with?
- Does it require you to install extra software to send/receive notifications?
- It is easy to setup and manage?
- Does it include extra customization options?
- Is there any analytics included?
- What’s the price?
With all that being mentioned, lets late a look at the most popular WordPress plugins to send push notifications from your website.
The Best WordPress Plugins to Add Push Notifications
OneSignal is one of the most widely-used push notifications WordPress plugins. Offering a versatile push notification service, it provides a number of smart solutions to send push notifications directly to Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It is available for free use and doesn’t include any hidden fees.
With the help of the plugin, you will be able to set up a number of custom push notifications like automatic updates whenever a new product/piece of content appears on your site. There is also an option to send automatic reminders to those users who haven’t reached your site during the last couple of days in order to engage them and drive more traffic to your web resource.
The main features of the plugin include:
- Supports: Chrome (Desktop & Android), Safari (Mac OS X), and Firefox (Desktop) on HTTP and HTTPS sites
- Targeting Segments to send notifications to specific visitors based on language, number of times they’ve visited your blog, etc
- Opt-In Customization to choose when and how to ask your visitors to opt-in to browser notifications
- Real Time Analytics
- A/B Testing
- Scheduled Notifications
Chrome Push Notifications is another powerful free WordPress plugin that is intended to send push notifications from your site to Google Chrome (desktop and Android). It may lack some features that other push notification WordPress plugins feature, however its simplistic approach to sending prompt messages lures crowds of the site owners.
The main features of the plugin include:
- Quick and simple setup
- Automatic push notifications for the freshly published content
- Custom logo for notifications
- The ability to choose post types for while push notifications should be sent
- Custom notifications
Push Notifications for WordPress by PushAssist is a feature-rich free solution that will help you keep the audience of your WordPress blog, business or eCommerce site always engaged with your content. It supports targeted push notifications making it possible to re-engage the most loyal customers.
Upon installation, the plugins will automatically add all the required library into the website post account verification. All of the key features, dashboards and metrics are displayed in the WordPress Admin Panel.
With the help of this plugin, you can notify the visitors when a new post is published on your site. You can also send them offers, tips, and other pieces of data that can convert any visitor to your site into a loyal customer.
The main features of the plugin include:
- Instant notifications that appear as message alerts and even sound alerts
- Easy to use REST APIs, available via secure HTTPS to send and receive data
- Smart segmentation divides users in groups with segmentation
- Works for both HTTP or HTTPS WordPress websites
- You to use your own GCM keys for push notifications
- Add Site Logo when sending push notifications automatically
There are lots of benefits to use push notifications on your WordPress site. Working as a means to interact with the web audience directly, push notifications also grow the chances of traffic and revenue boost. Thanks to the cleverly customized push notifications, you can turn any ordinary visitor to your website into a returning loyal client. Just launch your site on the basis of WordPress (if you still haven’t done this), use a cost-effective design for it, choose push notifications plugins, and watch an impressive audience engagement boost.